Project Manager – Sudan
Based in Khartoum, Sudan
Starting date: March 2020 – 12 months (renewable)
The current political climate in Sudan has evolved after almost three decades of authoritarian rule. Based on these new developments, HD has initiated a project to support the ongoing political transition in the country. Under the new project, HD seeks to help in facilitating broad-based analysis among critical stakeholders, providing institutional support around political transitions to the civilian government, as well as supporting political dialogue and mediation.
Reporting to the Anglophone and Lusophone Africa Regional Director, the Project Manager will have the following responsibilities:
- Support the day-to-day management of project activities including:
-Monitoring the political situation in specific regions and developments relating to the Sudan project and their impact on the project, as well as researching and analysing subjects related to the project;
-Organising and co-ordinating project meetings, including the conceptualisation and formulation of meeting agendas and drafting meeting reports and mission notes;
-Spearheading the preparation of project work plans and calendars as well as the implementation of project activities;
-Manage all the financial aspects of the projects including budgets under the supervision of the Regional Director.
- Together with the Regional Director, s/he will also maintain and strengthen links with related partners, including donors and high-level external parties.
- Oversee the management of donor grants including:
-Reviewing, formulating and managing budgets;
-Preparing internal and donor-related project reports (narrative and financial) in consultation with the relevant point persons;
- Prepare project and fundraising concept notes, proposals and narrative/review reports.
Additional project support:
- Undertake assessments and explore possible new initiatives;
- Carry out research and analysis on subjects related the project;
- Help identify, pursue and manage new mediation work in the region;
- Represent and promote HD in different contexts to outside audiences in the region;
- Maintain a good working knowledge of the facts on the ground in order to engage with all stakeholders;
- Any other tasks as requested by the Regional Director.
The successful candidate should have:
- 7-15 years of work experience in conflict resolution or in a similar function in the Sudan Africa region and internationally;
- Solid understanding of project management;
- Post-graduate study or equivalent experience in conflict resolution, international relations, development studies, international humanitarian law, gender, peace and security or other related fields;
- Experience working in a regional or international organisation preferred;
- Excellent oral and written skills (English required, French an asset);
- Experience of and sensitivity in communicating with multicultural and diverse audiences, including senior government officials, politicians, opposition groups, national and local NGOs and conflict-affected communities;
- Contextual knowledge and understanding of Sudan will be an added advantage;
- Strong understanding of peace and security issues.
The successful applicant should have:
- Good interpersonal skills;
- The ability to handle confidential information;
- Excellent representational skills;
- Strong multi-tasking skills;
- A proactive and self-motivated approach.
If you are interested in this position and meet the above-described qualifications, please send your resume (maximum 2 pages) with a short cover letter by February 20th 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org.