Cyber-dialogue Project Officer
Start date: as soon as possible
The field of conflict resolution is grappling with changes to how war is waged and growing instability specifically in cyberspace. While mediation is a commonly used tool to address traditional forms of armed conflict, its application to conflicts in the cyber domain has not been well-tested. HD has sought to address this need by establishing a programme in 2018 focused on developing confidence-building measures (CBMs) between adversaries in cyberspace, particularly in regions where such CBMs do not exist or have been poorly implemented.
Working closely with the Senior Programme Manager, the Project Officer will:
- Help to execute tracks of cyber-dialogue that HD is facilitating;
- Monitor ongoing policy debates in cyber-diplomacy;
- Contribute to the conceptualisation and formulation of dialogue agendas, meeting reports, and mission notes;
- Represent and promote HD in different contexts with conflict parties;
- Maintain contact with other relevant stakeholders, including cybersecurity experts, tech companies, and civil society;
- Attend multilateral cyber negotiations at the UN and other fora;
- Supervise the preparation of project proposals, budgets, and reports, and maintain regular contact with donor representatives;
- Liaise with technical experts commissioned by HD.
The successful candidate should have the following qualifications:
- 2-3 years minimum of relevant experience in cyber diplomacy;
- Be familiar with key debates in cybersecurity;
- Demonstrated track record of working with non-Western Governments is essential;
- Discretion in the management of sensitive information;
- Possess solid organisational and project management skills, Research and strong political analysis capacity.
- Strong command of written and spoken English.
- S/he should also be flexible and be able to exercise good judgement when working with a range of stakeholders in a variety of environments.
- S/he must be tolerant of high levels of uncertainty and demonstrate experience in dealing with a dynamic and challenging context.
The successful candidate should be prepared to travel extensively.
If you are interested in this position and meet the above-described qualifications, please send your CV (maximum 2 pages) with a short cover letter by March 31, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org.